Ah, yes. The art of writing good! I saw this picture on Facebook and felt compelled to post it on my site. We are all guilty of making these errors, some more than others, some more often than not.
My brother, editor extraordinaire and part-time literary philanthropist, burns me on No. 1 and No. 10 all the time. Although he is a bit of a sadist when it comes to my writing (and a very cruel person most other times), he’s right 98.34% of the time.
If I could add my two loonies’ worth of advice when it comes to writing goodly and sharp, I’d say:
11. Keep it simple, stupid – less is more
12. Capitalization is cool – uppercase characters are very upper class.
13. Shortened, truncated, apostrophe-less words are for boors – if u think yer kool wrtng like this, u should head strate to yer nearest hospital and get an mri (DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200)
14. Good spelling is like good hygiene – if you spell poorly, you most definitely smell bad
15. Please, for all that is good and just in this world, reread what you’ve written at least once before showing it to anyone – you’ll always catch something the second time through a sentence or paragraph